Wow. These birds are one of the sweetest tempered breeds we have kept, and it seems like you have noticed. Demand for our Silkies has really surprised me. One question that I’ve had the opportunity to answer is: are our chicks hens or roos? The sex of a Silkie chick is quite difficult to determine; so, usually even we don’t know. Also, I've put up some new pictures at the bottom of this post!
A Bit About Silkies:
- It is said that Marco Polo first discovered them on his trip to the Orient.
- They are very docile birds making great pets but they do need to be protected as they don’t fly.
- They love to camp out together all piled up, roos and hens together so you must protect them from predators.
- They love to sit and become broody often.
- They make wonderful moms too.
- They make great pets for young children.
- The males develop streamers: long feathers that flow from the back and sides of the crest.
- Females retain a rounder crest but do not develop streamers.
Silkie chickens have what is called "walnut combs." This is the name of the chicken comb that results when a "pea" comb chicken and a "rose" comb chicken are bred together. Their feathers resemble furry down, and this is likely how Silkie chickens got their name. A typical male Silkie chicken grows to be approximately 4 lbs. and a typical female Silkie chicken is approximately 3 lbs.
Silkie chickens are not skilled fliers. For this reason, owners need not clip their wings. Silkie chickens tolerate being confined quite well. Because of their timid nature and lack of flying ability, they are at risk from predators. Silkie chickens live long lives as long as they are kept safe from predators.
Silkie chickens prefer roosts that are no higher than 4 feet from the ground. This is at least partly because of their lack of flying ability.
Silkie chickens are quiet, friendly and easy to approach. They are an excellent choice for a family pet.
Silkie chickens are excellent nest sitters.
Through cross-breeding, you can help produce different coloured birds, as follows:
Black with Black gives you 100% Black
Black with Blue gives you 50% Black & 50% Blue
Blue with Blue gives you 50% Blue, 25% Black & 25% Splash
Splash with Black gives you 100% Blue
Splash with Blue gives you 50% Blue & 50% Splash
Splash and Splash gives you 100% Splash